CAREER OPTION : Civil Engineer
Career as a Civil Engineer
Did you ever aspire to leave your mark forever on this world? With the society’s infrastructure developing a t a rapid speed today, being a civil engineer will help you achieve your dream. As a civil engineer, you will be responsible to build and maintain the best structures in the world like the Palm Islands or the World’s longest cable bridge. These structures are a result of utmost hard work and extreme dedication of the world’s finest civil engineers. They are remarkable infrastructural examples and will last forever.
As a civil engineer, you will plan, design and construct different projects in a required scale and maintain it throughout your career. You will play a major part in the urbanisation of the society and in order to undertake this responsibility in a disciplined manner, you need high level knowledge of engineering skills. Also, there is a need for some creative flair and idea generation in order to create the best structures that the world will forever cherish. You will have to deal with clients, architects, government officials, contracts and supervisors who will be helping you in managing and making the project a successful one.
- Qualifying marks in your H.S.C. (10+2) examinations under a recognised board of education with Physics, Chemistry and Maths as your core subjects.
- Qualifying marks in entrance exams like AIEEE conducted by state and central government bodies or private institutions
- Discipline, patience and commitment to excel in your respective field with self-confidence.
- Ability to think methodically, to design, plan and manage projects.
- Ability to maintain the entire project systematically while giving importance and attention to the smallest details.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to lead and work in a team.
- Negotiating, supervisory and commanding skills combined with the ability to delegate.
How to become a Civil Engineer ?
STEP 1: You can become a civil engineer via a diploma program or a bachelor’s degree. The diploma program extends to a time period of 3 years and the bachelor’s degree goes up to 4 years.
STEP 2: To join a diploma program, you need to attend entrance exams like JET conducted by state and central government bodies. The exam will comprise of objective questions from Physics, Chemistry and Maths. After clearing the exams, you will be admitted into respective colleges as per your rank.
STEP 3: After completing your diploma program, you can join as a junior engineer or enrol into an engineering college for bachelor’s degree in the second year.
STEP 4: If you wish to pursue a bachelor’s degree, you need to write entrance exams such as AIEEE conducted by state and central bodies. There will be objective type questions related to Physics, Chemistry and Biology. After clearing them, you will be admitted into colleges as per your rank. After completing your 4 years degree program, you can start working as a professional civil engineer.
STEP 5: The subjects you will learn during your degree or diploma in civil engineering are; mathematics, mechanics and graphics, humanities, computer programming, physics and chemistry, survey, building technology, materials, fluid mechanics, geology, drawing, irrigation, hydraulics, transportation etc. to mention a few.
- Indian Institute of Technology – Across India
- Birla Institute of Science and Technology – Rajasthan
- Delhi Technological University – Delhi
- Anna University – Chennai
- National Institute of Technology – Across India
As a civil engineer, your employment areas include civil engineering companies, water authorities, engineering transportation companies, tunnel engineering companies, educational institutions and construction companies. You can work with both government and private sectors for good career opportunities. You can also practice independently and take up your own projects if you have the capability to do so.
A starting income of a civil engineering can very between Rs.20, 000 to Rs.40, 000 per month depending upon the project and company. This can get as high as Rs.1 lakh per month with experience and performance. In government sector, in addition to your monthly pay you will get extra incentives like housing expenses, medical facilities, concessional travel passes etc.