CAREER OPTION : Graphic Designer
Caree as a Graphic Designer
If you dream of a career in the creative industries and actually want to do something about it, then you should opt for a career in graphic designing. As a graphic designer you get to flex your brain muscles and it can take you in a lot of creative directions. Every day will be different as you get to work on new projects in new dimensions. It is one profession that is in great demand today, and guess what? You’ll never stop learning! You can gain your inspiration from about anywhere and everywhere. A good graphic design is much more than making things look nice, it is a very thoughtful and challenging profession.
In order to become a professional graphic designer, you need to attain an undergraduate degree either in Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design or Bachelor of Design. The course extends up to four years and has both theoretical and practical training practices. You will be equipped with skills in several design softwares and idea generation. It is a highly paid job in today’s world with excessive job opportunities all across the world.
- You have to pass your H.S.C. (10+2) examinations with qualifying grades under a recognised board of education in any of your preferable streams.
- Your creativity should be really high. In this extremely competitive industry your kit to survival will be your creativity.
- Ability to master various forms of technical softwares for the purpose of designing.
- A good visual communication is necessary since you are going to communicate your ideas through visual representations.
- There might be situations where you will have to juggle between multiple projects. Hence, time management has an important role to play.
- A good colour and composition sense is what rules graphic designing.
How to become a graphic designer
STEP 1: After completing your H.S.C education, start applying in private and government institutions for a Bachelor of Fine Arts or Bachelor of Design Degree.
STEP 2: Certain colleges have an entrance exam to admit you for the course. The entrance exam will have both creative aptitude and general aptitude tests conducted.
STEP 3: Depending upon your performance and ranks, you will be admitted into a renowned institution. During the course of study, the subjects that you will be covering are; Introduction to Graphic Design, Shaping, Design and Illustration, Corel Draw, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Image Layout and Effects and Portfolio Creation.
After clearing these subjects, you can take up internships with different firms for experience before getting hired for a permanent job.
- National Institute of Design – Ahmedabad
- National Institute of Fashion Technology – All across India
- MIT Institute of Design – Pune
- Symbiosis Institute of Design – Pune
After graduating you can carry forward with different job types such as a graphic designer, art director, publications designer, web designer, marketing manager, lecturer etc. You will have job openings at different sectors and offices like television industries, publishing houses, design group centres, computer games companies, magazines, packaging industry, multimedia company, educational establishments, institutions etc. You can also freelance or start a company of your own if you prefer to work independently.
As a fresher in the industry, you can get a monthly salary between Rs.30, 000 to Rs.45, 000. With experience and performance, your salary can go up to Rs.80, 000 per month depending upon your designation as well as the company you work with.