CAREER OPTION : Aeronautical Engineer
Aeronautical Engineer as a profession !!
Are you interested in aircrafts, its design and function? Then an aeronautical engineer is what you should become. Aeronautical engineering focuses on applying mathematics, physics and other disciplines in the process of making an aircraft. As an aeronautical engineer, you will be working in one of the most advanced branches of engineering. You will be involved in creating and designing new aircrafts. Besides this, you will also be involved in researching new materials, engines, body shapes and structures of an aircraft. You can create many kinds of aircrafts ranging from small flights to supersonic fighters to giant airlines.
As an aeronautical engineer you will be helping with developing, supervising and maintaining the functioning of various systems of an aircraft. It is a huge responsibility that you carry since it is your work that will ensure flight safety and fuel efficiency. You will consider budgets, timescales and requirements with clients, measure and improve aircraft performance, test and evaluate systems, write reports, manuals and documentations, provide technical advice and interpret and analyse data. In order to become aeronautical engineer, you need to pursue an engineering degree in the domain of aeronautical engineering from an accredited institutions.
- You must have qualifying marks in your H.S.C. (10+2) exams under a recognised board of education with Physics, Chemistry and Maths being your core subjects.
- For certain colleges, you must qualify in entrance exams conducted by government and private educational bodies with a minimum of 50%.
- You must possess good eyesight and have a good physical health.
- You must be well equipped with subjects like Maths and Physics and have an interest in further research and learning of these domains.
- Your eye sight must be good and colour corrected and physical wellness has to be maintained.
- You must be good at organising work or working in a team and get well with people from all levels and background.
- You must be able to stay calm under pressure and have problem solving skills.
- You must be regularly updated with latest technological advancements in and out of your field.
- You must be creative and analytical to bring forward new innovations and ideas.
- You must have excellent skills in handling computer, designing and have good verbal and written communication
How to become an Aeronautical Engineer
STEP 1: After completing your 12thgrade, you need to pursue a 4 years engineering degree in aeronautical engineering from a renowned college. You can enrol into both government and private colleges.
STEP 2: In order to get admitted into government colleges you will have to attend JEE (Joint entrance exam) or other exams conducted by state and central government bodies. For entering into private colleges, you have to attend their own entrance examinations in order to qualify.
STEP 3: The entrance exam will have questions from Physics, Chemistry and Maths. As per your rank, you will be admitted into different colleges. The subjects you will be covering during these 4 years are principles of flight, aerodynamic, aircraft structure, propulsion, avionics, electronics, metrology, airworthiness regulation, air traffic control etc.
STEP 4: After completing your graduation, you can start working or pursue further studies in the domain.
- Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology – Trivandrum
- Indian Institute of Aeronautical Engineering – Dehradun
- Indian Institute of Technology – Across India
- Indian Institute of Science – Bangalore
You can work with government and private organizations after graduating. You can get employed in the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) or Defence Ministry. You can get employed in Civil Aviation Department, National Aeronautical Laboratory, Defence Research and Development Laboratories and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited. You can also work abroad with similar organizations. You can also work with reputed airlines and design their aircrafts.
The starting income of an aeronautical engineer can vary between Rs.25, 000 to Rs.35, 000 per month. With experience, this can get as high as Rs.90, 000 per month or even more.