CAREER OPTION > Architect
Career as an Architect
Why is the Taj Mahal still admired? Because of its architecture! If you want to put your creativity into making something so beautiful, then you should opt for a career as an architect. As an architect you will be a professional who will create designs of a building, road or any other infrastructure from imagination on to a paper. It is an important part of the civil society today. It is a profession with great demand today. It is an extremely competent field because of which you have to excel and give your hundred percent to grab good opportunities.
To be one of those highly demanded and talented architects, you have to be disciplines, patient and committed to perform well in your field with confidence. In order to pursue a professional degree in architecture, you can get admitted into an architectural institute to polish your skills and acquire proper training. It is a job that is highly paid and will let you work all around the globe.
- You need to have qualifying marks in your H.S.C. (10+2) exams under a recognised board of education.
- If you are planning to pursue a diploma instead of a bachelor’s degree, then you must have qualifying marks in your 10thclass examinations.
- Those candidates with a 10+3 year diploma in any stream can also apply for B.Arch programmes.
- You must be imaginative and have creative thinking skills.
- Be able to analyse and critically assess problems.
- You should have good drawing skills and a keen observation because attention to small details is what makes you a good architect.
- You should possess the ability to communicate effectively, understand the history as well as the culture and environmental factors associated with the infrastructure your create.
- You must possess negotiating skills and problem solving skills.
How to become an Architect
STEP 1: If you wish to pursue a career in architecture, the first step to be taken is to attend various entrance exams conducted by state and central government bodies. One such examination is the All Indian Engineering Entrance Examinations – Aptitude Test for Architecture. Other exams are NATA or JEE.
STEP 2: If planning to study abroad, the candidate must clear her H.S.C examination as well as IELTS, TOEFL or SAT.
STEP 3: After clearing your entrance exams you will be admitted into a suitable college depending upon your marks and rank. The course extends to a period of 5 years. During this course of time, you will be educated in subjects like architecture design, building construction, theory of structures, building science service & management, history of architecture, architectural drawing, computer and software lab, workshop practice and educational tours, settlement planning and design application.
STEP 4: After successful completion of your degree course and training or internship programs, you can get into government, public or private sectors for career opportunities.
- Chandigarh College of Architecture (CCA) – Chandigarh
- CEPT University – Ahmedabad
- School of Planning and Architecture (SPA) – Delhi
- Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT) – Udupi
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) – USA
- University College London – UK
After the completion of B.Arch, you are likely to get employed in firms like academic institutes, museums and art galleries, urban planning bodies, construction companies etc. You can also opt for self-employed architectural practices. Different architectural job types include architectural data analyst, retail interior designer, architectural draftsmen, architecture manager, teacher and architectural project manager.
Architects in private sector can earn an amount between Rs.30, 000 to Rs.40, 000 as a fresher. This can go as high as Rs.1 lakh per month with proficiency and experience. Government jobs also have a good pay scale with additional incentives like pension, housing facilities, medical expenses etc.