CAREER OPTION : Architecture
Architects are the actual creators of amazing buildings and structures that we see around us in our daily life. And the first step to becoming an architect is to pursue a degree in architecture. B.Arch or Bachelor of Architecture is an undergraduate course that offers you a career pathway into architecture, design, construction, and urban planning. All that you require are some artistic attributes, mathematical skills, and computer proficiency.
The time generally required to complete you bachelor programme is 5 years, with 2 semesters each year. One may complete the program at a slower pace, but shall not take more than 10 years. Continuous assessments and an end term examination is held every semester. There are great opportunities for higher education after you complete B.Arch both overseas and nationally.
Syllabus of B.Arch
- Architecture design
- Building construction
- Theory of structures
- Building science, services and management
- History of architecture
- Architectural drawing
- Computer & Software lab
- Workshop Practise and Educational Tours
- Settlement Planning
- Design application
- Training and Project thesis
- Candidate must possess a minimum of 50% in their H.S.C (10+2) examination, from a stream with Mathematics as a core subject.
- Selection into colleges will be based on the rank obtained after writing All India Engineering Entrance Exams (AIEEE) – Aptitude Test for Architecture, JEE, or NATA.
- Those candidates with a 10+3 year diploma in any stream can also apply for B.Arch programmes.
- If planning to study abroad, the candidate must clear her H.S.C examination as well as IELTS, TOEFL or SAT.
B.Arch Career Options
After the completion of B.Arch, you are likely to get employed in firms like academic institutes, museums and art galleries, urban planning bodies, construction companies etc. An architect’s salary scheme varies and get better with experience. With a starting pay of Rs.30,000, the pay can rise up to Rs.1,50,000 per month. You can also opt for self-employed architectural practices. Different architectural job types include:
- Architecture Data analyst
- Retail interior designer
- Architectural Draftsman
- Architecture and interior manager
- Architectural project manager
- Architectural assistant
Best Institutions for B.Arch
- Chandigarh College of Architecture (CCA) – Chandigarh
- CEPT University – Ahmedabad
- School of Planning and Architecture (SPA) – Delhi
- Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT) – Udupi
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) – USA
- University College London – UK
Advance courses in B.Arch
- Masters in Architecture (M.Arch)
- M.D. in Architecture