CAREER OPTION > Automobile Engineer
Career as an Automobile Engineer
Here’s a career which will help you do what you like also with a reputed qualification. We’re talking about automobile engineering. Automobile engineers ae professionals who are specialised in designing vehicles like cars, jeeps, SUVs, trucks etc. to name a few. As an automobile engineer, you will involve in designing, developing, improving and modifying variety of operating systems related to vehicles on road. You will also be concerned with safety of different functioning systems. You can conduct research and create visual representations.
You can specialise in fields like thermodynamics or aerodynamic. Some focus in creating design models and other concentrate on parts fabrication. The automobile industry is growing all across the globe which in turn has increased the demand for automobile engineers as well. Demand has increased not only for passenger vehicles but also for heavy vehicles used in transportation of goods. There are huge career prospects for you after becoming an automobile engineer.
- You need to have qualifying marks in your H.S.C. (10+2) exams under a recognised board of education.
- In your 12th standard, you have to take Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Maths as your core subjects.
- You need to attend All India Entrance Exams such as the JET in order to qualify for the course of automobile engineering.
- Creative and analytical mind with good command in physics, mathematics and chemistry.
- Extraordinary creative thinking skills to develop design prototypes.
- Supervisory and administrative skills required while working individually or as a team.
- Discipline, patience and commitment to excel in this field with vast competition.
- Confidence in the field of competition and passion for designing and vehicles.
How to become an Automobile Engineer
STEP 1: For automobile engineering, there are both diploma and degree courses. If you are looking for a diploma course, you have to attend entrance exams conducted by various state and central education bodies. It is a three years course and you will be admitted into colleges as per your rank in entrance exams.
STEP 2: If you wish to pursue a degree course in automobile engineering, you have to attend national and state level entrance examinations such as the AIEEE. Or examinations conducted by individual institutions like IIT, BITS Pilani etc.
STEP 3: Bachelor’s degree is a four years program where you will be trained in subjects like engineering design, automotive electrical systems, diesel engines, materials and metallurgy, automotive transmission, instrumentation and metrology, computer aided design, computer aided machine drawing, engine and vehicle testing, automotive electronics, 2 and 3 wheelers, quality control pollution, ethics and management sciences etc.
STEP 4: After completing your four years degree program, you can apply for post-graduate programs or start working in the industry.
- Manipal Institute of Technology - Manipal
- Delhi Technological University - Delhi
- PSG College of Technology – Coimbatore
You can work with a variety of vehicles like cars, trucks, motorcycles, commercial vehicles and recreational vehicles. You can work with automobile manufacturing industry, maintenance and service station, private transport companies, defence service and establishments, engineering university as lecturer, garage and workshops or start your own business in the field.
You can expect a starting salary between Rs.40, 000 to Rs.60, 000. With experience and proficiency you can demand for more. It can get as high as Rs.1 lakh per month depending upon your position. Individual business holders do not have a limit to what they can earn.