CAREER OPTION : Chef
Chef as a profession...
Anyone who likes cooking must have thought what it takes to be a high end chef in the world best hotel someday! Are you among them? Then wait not because being a chef is the right career choice to make. As a chef you will be one of the most highly skilled and innovative professional in the industry of hospitality. As a high end chef, your duties will be to satisfy the tongue, stomach and eye of your prospective client with delicious and appealing food. The career prospects are really high these days and there is scope for you to travel to any part of the world and make some money.
You will have to work for long hours and be prepared for hard work because it is a profession that requires hundred percent commitment. You should have an excellent developed sense of taste and smell and be open to exploring new flavours and ingredients. The more creative you are, the better your career will rise. Even though all chefs across the globe do not have mandatory educational qualifications, renowned hotels prefer chefs with basic knowledge and qualification in this respective field.
- The minimum qualification required to become a chef is qualifying marks in your H.S.C. (10+2) examination under a recognised board of education in any stream of your choice.
- You must have excellent culinary skills and an interest to learn more in this domain.
- Your communication skills play an important role in a better career since you will have to manage and speak to different people when you become the head of a kitchen.
- You must have time management skills to cook and serve the orders in a limited time.
- Your leadership and accounting skills must be good enough to survive in this industry.
- You must be physically fit and be willing to work standing for long hours and be in the heat of the kitchen.
- Your cleanliness and hygiene standards must be really high. Multitasking, creativity and imagination are vital since the way you garnish and serve the food also will largely influence your success.
- You must be friendly and have an interest to work with a team of passionate and dedicated individuals.
How to become a Chef
STEP 1: After completing your 12thgrade, you can pursue a three year hotel management degree in food beverages from an accredited institute both nationally and internationally.
STEP 2: You can apply for this course irrespective of the stream you chose in your 12thgrade. If you wish to join in India, you need to appear for entrance exams conducted by the Ministry of Tourism in India or by any private organizations. If you wish to pursue your degree from abroad, you have to contact the college and go through their admission procedures.
STEP 3: After clearing your exams you will be admitted into respective colleges. The course duration is 3-4 years which varies as per institute and nation. After completing your course, you can go for higher studies or start your professional career.
- Bangalore Culinary Academy – Bangalore
- Academy of Culinary Arts – Hyderabad
- Institute of Hotel Management – Aurangabad
- ITM School of Culinary Arts – Mumbai
You can work as executive chefs or head cooks in hotels and resorts of various types in different parts of the world. If not, you can work with high class restaurants as their chef. If you are business minded, you can open a restaurant or hotel of your own and be an entrepreneur.
You can earn a starting salary between Rs.20, 000 to Rs.40, 000 depending upon the job you take up and the organization you work for. However, this can get as high as Rs.3 lakhs per month with high end hotels and overseas. There is no limit to how much you can earn if you are running your own business.