CAREER OPTION > Cosmologist
Many young minds have the aspiration to research and study about the celestial bodies like planets and stars. If you’re one among them, a career in cosmology will perfectly suit you. Cosmologist is someone who studies the origin of the universe and various bodies than exist within it. Most of the research is carried forward by theories postulated by Einstein. As a cosmologist, you will study about the phenomena that is involved in the motion, nature, law, constitutions and possible future developments of heavenly bodies like the sun, moon, planets, stars, comets, meteoroids, galaxies, natural satellites etc.
If you are an aspirant and have passion for cosmic science, you can make this as your profession and discover or find great things that can be remarkable and bring changes in the current world. All you need is good aptitude in physics and a good curiosity. It is a fun and exciting career and also extremely rewarding in terms of monetary benefits. There are several institutes that offer cosmology courses nationally and internationally. All you need to do is develop a passion for the subject and receive formal education. The industry has wonderful experiences to offer to you.
- Qualifying marks in your H.S.C. (10+2) examinations under a recognised board of education with Physics, Chemistry and Maths being your core subjects.
- A bachelor’s degree in physics or maths in order to be eligible to join for a master’s degree in cosmology.
- You must be hard-working and dedicated and above all have a great passion for the field you are involved in.
- You must have intensive foresight and self-developed knowledge about the field you are working in.
- You should have the capacity to work hard with commitment, open mindedness and have clarity of thought.
- You must have special knowledge and training in the field that can be acquired through educational qualification and degrees.
- You must be well equipped in mathematics and physics and have an interest and research and study more in these domains.
How to become a Cosmologist
STEP 1: The first step to becoming a cosmologist is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in either mathematics or physics. You can also do a bachelor’s degree in engineering with a relevant trade like astronomy. In order to enrol into one of these courses you need to qualify in entrance exams conducted by state and central bodies.
STEP 2: After acquiring your bachelor’s degree, you need to do a master’s degree in the domain followed by a doctorate to be eligible enough to do a research of such a high level.
STEP 3: In order to do your Ph.D., you need to appear for entrance exams like JEST (Joint Entrance Screening Test). After completing your educational qualification, you can begin working with research centres or practice independently and have your own findings.
- India Institutes of Space Science and Technology – Trivandrum
- Indian Institute of Astrophysics – Bangalore
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research – Pune
- Indian Institute of Sciences - Bangalore
You can work with various public and private research centres and organizations such as the ISRO (Indian Space Research Organization), Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) etc. You can work with space physics laboratories, space application centres, testing laboratories, planetariums, science parks etc. or join non-profit organizations. As a beginner, you will be included as a junior researches in order to research on an existing project led by someone else. You can also work as a lecturer at colleges or universities.
A fresh cosmologist can get an amount between Rs.30, 000 to Rs.50, 000 per month. With expertise and experience, this can get as high as Rs.1 lakh to Rs.2 lakhs per month.