CAREER OPTION > Designer
Career as a Designer
The desire to convert your inbuilt creativity and artistic vision into a highly paid profession can push you towards a career goal where you will be labelled as a designer. If you have the hobby of giving a creative touch to every work you take up, and you are in search of something that can polish and expand your caliber, then you should not wait more to step into the field of designing.
Categories of design you can master are:
Interior designer: An interior designer is someone who enhances the visible section of a block of walls with his ideas and make the interior of a building aesthetically appeasing to eyes of the viewer.
Degree: 6 month-1yr Diploma in interior design, 1-year advanced diploma
PGDID, 3yr B.sc in interior design, 2year MBA in Interior design
Certification: Internship with studios like paramount pictures and warner brothers
Key skills: creativity in designing wallpaper for walls, structuring wall designs, etc.
Median Annual Salary: $48,840
Film & Video designer : This category is about using a software to represent a concept or story in form of a video movie designed with human characters and a scenic view shot by a camera.
Degree: Bachelor of science in media production, Master of Fine Arts in film & video production
Certification: Digital media, producing, screen writing, directing, sound editing
Key skills: creating scripts and dialogues, developing characters, storyboard, shoot scripts & edit
Median Annual Salary: $62,760
Fashion designer: A fashion designer is someone who artistries the natural beauty of clothing and its accessories, thereby creating a benchmark for fashion trends and designs in the world of fashion industry. You design and personify dresses, jewelries, footwears and anything a physical body can carry and magnify the beauty of.
Degree : 3-year B.sc, 1yr Graduate diploma, 1yr post graduate diploma, 2yr MBA in fashion merchandising & retail management
Certification: Las Vegas Fashion council, etc.
Key Skills: Creativity, drawing and computer drafting skills, knowledge of textiles, sewing, and construction, retail sales experience a plus
Median Annual Salary (2015): $63,670
Graphic designer: A graphic designer personifies his ideas to visually represent a concept or a piece of information using symbols, images, graphics and words.
Degree Level: Advanced or professional program (3D animation, VFX, Multimedia & design)
Certification: Digital media, graphic writing, sound editing
Key skills: basics of television, print and online media
Median Annual Salary $47,640
- User Experience Designer : Here, you develop websites, software, mobile apps, or video games as per the demand and requirement of your customer. The customer than interacts with the users and promotes his organization to generate revenue.
Degree Level: Advanced or professional program in web/software development
Certification: Android, web development, Java, PHP, C, C++, etc.
Key skills: programming
Median Annual Salary: $97,460
To climb the ladder that destines you to be designer:
- Find out your field of interest in designing
- Indulge yourself to think critically about the design of objects surrounding you
- Improvise the designs you see to make them better and feasible
- Explore how things are made and find out their sources
- Read and observe the famous designers
- Enroll with a design school and get certified
Some of the renowned colleges for designing are:
- NID (National Institute of Design), Ahmedabad
- IDC, IIT Bombay
- Pearl Academy, (Delhi, Mumbai, Jaipur)
- NIFT, Delhi
- MAEER'S MIT Institute of Design, Pune
- Srishti School of Art Design and Technology, (Bengaluru, Pune, Trivandrum)
- Indian School of Design and Innovation, Mumbai
- GD Goenka School of Fashion & Design, Mumbai
- Sir J J Institute of Applied Art, Mumbai
- Delhi College of Art, Delhi
- Parsons, The New School for Design, New York city(NYC)
- The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), NYC
- Central Saint Martins, NYC
- London College of Fashion, NYC
- Royal College of Art, NYC
- Institute Marangoni, NYC
- Politecnico di Milano, NYC
- Douglas College, Canada
- La Trobe university, Australia
- University of Adelaide, Australia
"Shape your creativity skills to build your professional career as a designer"