CAREER OPTION : Fashion Designer
Unlike the past, fashion is on the forefront of the current generation. There is nobody who does not want to wear latest trends and not go stylish. While becoming a fashion designer may sound like a dream job, the industry is extremely demanding and competitive. Attaining a professional degree in fashion designing will give you competitive advantages and be helpful in putting your creativity in action. It is a highly demanded job these days with everybody looking for a personal designer to style them up. From public red carpet celebrity appearances to a common man’s birthday party, designers and their clothes are everywhere.
In order to become a professional fashion designer, the course that you must opt for is a Bachelor of Arts in Fashion Design, or a Bachelor of Design in Fashion Designing. There are several prestigious institutions nationally and internationally that provide courses for the same. The duration of the course lasts up to four years with two semesters per year. It is one of the most highly paid jobs today, which makes it a great choice for a professional course.
- Qualifying marks in your H.S.C.(10+2) examination under a recognised board of education in any stream.
- In certain colleges, you need to write an entrance examination to get through your admissions.
- You have to clear a general aptitude (general knowledge) and creative aptitude (drawing skills) examination as a part of the entrance.
- A good sense of colour, texture and shape.
- Good skills in illustration.
- Patience and keep observation.
- Ability to spot and develop trends.
- Ability to use computer and softwares.
- Regular updates about changing trends and innovations.
- Good time management skills.
How to Become a fashion designer:
For government institutions:
STEP 1: An all India entrance is conducted in two stages. You have to clear these exams to get into an institution.
STEP 2: The first stage consists of two exams – General Aptitude Test (GAT) which has objective type questions which are basic and related to subjects like Maths, English, Science and Fashion. Then comes a Creative Aptitude Test (CAT) which is to test your creative thinking and drawing skills.
STEP 3: After clearing you CAT and GAT, there is a situation test conducted. In this test, you will be given different themes and usable materials and the objective is to create a particular item within a given time. After clearing these exams, you will be permitted into one of the institutions as per your rank and preference.
However, for private institutions, it is up to them to conduct exams or give direct entry for new admits.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology – Across India
- Pearl Academy – Bangalore
- Symbiosis Institute of Design – Pune
- National Institute of Design – Bangalore
Internationally acclaimed institutions are:
- London College of Fashion - London
- Fashion Institute of Technology – New York
After graduating, you can start working independently as a designer or work under a renowned design house. Also, you can start your own brand and collection. It is important to have creativity and innovation as a designer. You can do your post-graduation in Fashion Management courses or other design courses after completing your Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion.
If you’re working under a design house or renowned designer, your starting pay as a fresher will range between Rs.25, 000 – Rs.50, 000 per month which will vary with the firm. However, it is an industry that keeps growing, and if you start something of your own, your income can vary from Rs.300, 000 – Rs.500, 000 per annum on an average scale.