CAREER OPTION > Film Director
Career as a Film Director
Entertainment industry comprising of the television and movies is a huge arena to go creative and earn a living. If you like to be in the industry, want a little fame but want to stay behind the screen, then being a film director is a choice you should make. As a film maker, you can make feature films, documentaries, newsreels, promotional films, commercial films, music videos etc. There are various forces that act behind making a film successful but, it is the director that has a key role to play.
It is a profession which will earn you name, fame and money at the same time. As a director you will be responsible to lead the film unit from front. You will have to manage all the material sources as well as everybody included in the team, both on and off the screen to get maximum output from them. You have to be hardworking, workaholic, passionate and above all talented to make the film a great success. To achieve all these qualities along with sharpening your creativity, you can undergo some courses before professionally starting your career in film direction.
- There are no educational barriers that are required to become a film director. However, it is advised that you complete your basic schooling and complete your H.S.C. (10+2) exams in order to get admitted into professional colleges.
- There are no age bars to do film direction. Whenever you are confident about your creativity and team management skills, you are set to become a film director.
- Creativity is a necessity since you are going to tell an entire story in a short time.
- Good communication on a movie set helps keep things run smoothly within a team.
- With so many aspects and departments under your control, management is a vital quality.
- Technical knowledge about various equipment, editing, etc. or the interest to learn them.
How to become a Film Director
STEP 1: After passing your plus two, and acquiring informal education about film making and developing interest for the same, you can opt for film making courses offered by film, dance or drama institutes. However, some reputed colleges may take an aptitude test before admitting you for the course of film direction.
STEP 2: You can opt for either diploma or degree courses in film direction. Some examples of courses that you can opt for are Bachelor of Arts in Film Making, Bachelor of Film and Television Technology, Diploma in Film Direction etc.
STEP 3: You will acquire professional training in subjects like introduction and history of film making, story, screenplay and dialogue writing, planning, pre-production, shooting, post-production and final copy.
STEP 4: After clearing or graduating from the course, you can either join a big film house or start working independently. You can also start by being an assistant director to a prominent film director for gaining experience. Later, you can start working on independent projects.
- National Institute of Film and Fine Arts – Kolkata
- Filmit Academy - Mumbai
- Film and Television Institute of India – Pune
- Satyajit Rai Film and Television Institute – Kolkata
- Asian Academy of Film and Television – Mumbai
- Whistling Woods International – Mumbai
After the completion of the course you can work with various fields of your choice. Film Industry, Theatres, Music and Dance bands, Acting Schools or colleges will have employment opportunities for you as a director. You can become a movie director, advertisement director, documentary film maker, TV serial director, Assistant or Associate director etc.
With the entertainment industry having a boom, the pay scale of the film directors are really high. For a start, you can earn an amount between Rs.5 lakhs to Rs.10 lakhs for your first film. Your income varies with the producer as well as the team you work with. With experience, the pay scale per film can go up to 80 lakhs or more. There is no limit to how much you can earn. This profession has huge creative as well as monetary satisfaction associated with it.