CAREER OPTION > Interior Designer
Do you love decorating rooms and arranging spaces? Got good design skills, time management, co-ordination, keen observation, attention to details and patience? Then being an interior designer is the perfect idea. If you are a creative individual, it is a viable career option. As an interior designer, you can renovate the interiors of offices, homes or any building and make it look aesthetically appealing. The role of an interior designer in today’s society is huge. Be it a restaurant, a retail store, a house or an office, the interiors have a huge impact on people’s mind and mood.
As an interior designer, you can help achieve a more pleasing and aesthetic environment for those using that space. You can plan, manage, research and co-ordinate such projects and include all your creative inputs as a designer when you opt for this career. Space planning, communicating with the stakeholder of a space, site visits, programming and design execution are the different aspects of being an interior designer. You can develop design solutions that are safe, functional, attractive, and define the needs of the end user. The course you need to opt for, to become a professional interior designer is an undergraduate bachelor’s degree in interior designing. There are also three year diploma courses that offer the same.
- You need to have qualifying marks in your H.S.C. (10+2) examinations from a recognised board of education / or 3 years Diploma by Central or State Government.
- There is no entrance test for this course.
- Any stream in your senior secondary schooling is qualified for applying to this course.
- Creativity, imagination and artistic flair are a must if you want to decorate the interiors of a building.
- Make sure that you have a good colour sense and is able to communicate your idea perfectly to the client and other people with whom you work and mingle.
- Your problem solving skills are useful when you work as an interior designer. You should also be able to draw both creative and technical illustrations.
- Be regularly updated with the new trends and changing interests of the society.
How to become an interior designer
STEP 1: After clearing your H.S.C. examinations, you can get your admission into one of the finest design colleges in the nation which offers a degree in this domain.
STEP 2: It is a four years course with 8 semesters. It is necessary that you have no arrears and clear all the semesters on time to be qualified as a graduate.
STEP 2: The subjects that you will cover during your course are; Art and graphics, Interior construction, CAD Design, Interior Design, Space management, History of Furniture, Drawing, Environmental studies and Design Studio Management.
- Shree Devi College of Interior Design – Mangalore
- School of Interior Design – Bangalore
- National Institute of Design – Across India
- School of Interior Design, Centre for Environmental Planning Technology (CEPT) – Ahmedabad
- JJ School of Arts – Mumbai
After graduating for interior designing, you can work opt for various job types as per your interest. Design journalist, space planner, interior designer, teacher, design manager etc. are some variations in jobs that you can choose from. You can also develop your career with a popular firm or star private practice as an interior designer.
For a fresh interior designer, the salary range is between Rs.30000 to Rs.40000 per month. However, it varies with experience and work quality, and is also dependent on the firm you work with. For senior interior designers, salary including bonus and commission is 8 lakhs to 30 lakhs per annum. Now you know that this course is going to give you a fruitful career.