CAREER OPTION > Librarian
Librarian as a Career
If you like books and is a very good communicator, then you can live between them and choose a career as a librarian. Librarians like old time are no more individuals who sit silently inside a room of books and find particular books for people who come looking. Now the concept has changed, and it has become technology driven. With CDs, computers and other multimedia devices in the industry, information is no more stored only in the form of books. It is a public interaction job with so many seekers for information and books.
But as it sounds, the job of a librarian is not a simple walk in job. As a librarian, you will have to be full of information regarding various books and topics. You have to be excellent with communication and be ready to help and work for hours tirelessly. To impart knowledge appropriately and to do your work efficiently, you require professional knowledge in the field. Hence, you can join an undergraduate course for the same.
- Your acquired grades in H.S.C. must be qualifying enough to get admitted into an undergraduate course. The stream in your H.S.C. can be any of your choice.
- To be eligible to join a bachelor’s degree in library, you have to be a graduate in any discipline of your choice from a recognised university.
- You should be able to effectively communicate with users of customers who come in seeking information about various topics.
- You must be polite and have a good interaction with colleagues and employers.
- You must have the ability to multitask and handle different things and people at one time.
- You have to think analytically and develop new systems, workflow and procedures.
- You must be able to initiate and make independent judgements.
- You must have good knowledge of computer, internet and commercially available softwares beneficial for your career.
How to become a Librarian
STEP 1: In order to become a librarian, you have to undergo a course in Bachelor of Library Science and Information (B.L.I.Sc.)
STEP 2: Interested candidate has to appear in entrance exam conducted by individual universities. Your rank and performance is considered before admitting you for this course.
STEP 3: The exam is usually held between the months May-June and consists of objective type questions related to relevant topics.
STEP 4: However, some colleges give admissions based on your merit in your previous graduation.
Step 5: The course duration is 1 year and during this time you will be trained in all major aspects of this field of study including both theoretical and practical training. You will be provided with practical training in close libraries as an assistant librarian.
- Aligarh Muslim University – Aligarh
- Banaras Hindu University – Varanasi
- Patna University – Patna
- Bhimrao Ambedkar University – Agra
- Delhi University – Delhi
- Indira Gandhi National Open University – New Delhi
The different designations that you can acquire depends upon the proficiency of your skill as well as experience you have in this field. The different designations that you can hold are; Assistant Librarian, Deputy Librarian, Librarian and Chief Librarian.
Librarians get reasonable income in both government as well as private jobs. It may range between an amount of Rs.20, 000 to Rs.40, 000 per month depending upon the institutions or organisation with which you work. However, those working in private sectors have more salary than those working in government sectors.