CAREER OPTION > Marketing Manager
Career as a Marketing Manager
Out of all domains under business management, marketing is considered to be the most challenging and at the same time rewarding. With professional and personal skills, the career prospects of a marketing manager has no limits. In today’s society it is a career option chosen by multiple female and male candidates. As a marketing manager, your duties will be to advertise, distribute and sell products and ideas to the clients in a well organised manner. The job profile guarantees great salary packages, high job status and wide scope to reach the top most position in administration and marketing.
If you become a marketing manager, you will be in high demand since you have an essential role to play in growth and sales of an organisation in order to compete in the very competitive world market. You need to have a good understanding of the product, price, placement or distribution, promotion and publicity. In order to stand out in the field, it is preferable that you get formal education in marketing by choosing courses like MBA, BBA etc.
- Qualifying marks in your H.S.C. (10+2) exams with commerce as your stream under a recognised board of education.
- Analytical and decision making skills to choose the correct medium for marketing.
- Creativity to develop new and innovative marketing strategies and skills to work with different personality types.
- Time management and budget management while motivating employees in a team.
- Communication skills to persuade other clients accept their strategy.
- Listening skills in order to understand clearly the wants and demands of the respective client.
- Ability to plan, direct and adjust multiple marketing campaigns and give details to each.
- Authenticity and sincerity as well as a passion for their profession.
- Stamina to work long hours and under deadly timelines.
How to become a Marketing Manager
STEP 1: After completing your H.S.C. exams, you can apply in several institutions for a bachelor’s program in marketing. The course extends up to a time period of 3 years.
STEP 2: After completing your bachelor’s degree, you can apply for a master’s program – Master or Business and Administration (MBA) in Marketing.
STEP 3: The MBA program extends to a duration of 2 years. The selection procedure for these courses may vary with institutions. Some colleges admit you based on your marks in degree. However, certain accredited institutions conduct exams in order to admit you into their institution. Examples of such exams are CAT by IIM, MAT by All India Management Association and XAT by Xavier Institute.
STEP 4: The syllabus for your MBA in Marketing will include subjects like marketing concepts, research and planning, principles of sales management, sales forecast, segmentation – targeting – positioning, evaluation & control, audit & ethics, consumer behaviour, industrial marketing, business law and communication, research methodology and economic analysis.
STEP 5: After clearing these papers, you can professionally start working as a marketing manager.
- Indian Institute of Management – Across India
- Symbiosis Institute of Business Management – Pune
- Advanced Institute of Business Management – Faridabad
- Xavier Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship - Bangalore
The opportunities for a marketing manager are limitless. Every industry and organisation is looking for a marketing manager these days to take their business forward. You can work with public sectors or corporate organisations. The different employment areas are educational institutions, tourism departments, FMCG, banking sector, hospitality, fashion, retail, market research, media and advertising, IT sector and consultancy services. You can also start your own marketing agency.
The starting salary of a marketing manager can vary between Rs.25, 000 to Rs.40, 000 per month depending upon the organisation that you work with. The sky is the limit when it comes to the maximum a marketing manager can earn. With better performance and more experience, your demand and opportunities increase. You can get into multinational corporations and earn up to Rs.1 lakh per month.