CAREER OPTION : Radio Jockey
After a downfall of the radios after the 90s, there is a huge bounce back of this industry over the last few years. This has increased the demand for radio jockeys and the younger generation seems to fancy this career. If you wish to become a radio jockey, it is definitely a fun filled and energetic career to choose for. As a radio jockey, it will be your voice that the public will hear on a daily basis. If you have love for music and like anchoring, it is sure that you will excel in this career.
You will anchor music programs and entertain listeners by conveying messages and informing them about latest updates in news, movies, music and much more. Besides this you will play songs requested by listeners, interview celebrities and other prominent personalities, manage contests and speak about anything and everything that can entertain the listeners. Though this profession sounds easy, it requires a lot of hard work and talent. You are always expected to be creative, explore new ideas and be full of enthusiasm.
- The eligibility to become a radio jockey is pure talent.
- However, today a minimum educational qualification of 10+2 is preferred by employers.
- If you have been trained in short term courses, it is an added advantage.
- There is no formal education that is mandatory in order to become an RJ. There are several short term training courses however, that will help you get a better knowledge of the profession.
- You must have an appealing voice and be able to modulate it according to different emotions and situations.
- Your diction must be clear and you should possess correct pronunciation of words, flare and fluency in language and ability to handle different topics.
- You must be able to control the pitch of your voice.
- You must have good sense of humour, a creative personality, individuality, spontaneity and an intensive knowledge of music and relative fields.
- Qualities like mimicry, singing, local dialect and humorous conversations are added assets that will help you carry your show forward.
- You must be diplomatic in character since you will be dealing with people of different characters, traits and personalities.
- You must be down to earth, friendly and approachable. Only then the listeners will be comfortable to call to your show and speak with you.
- Able to write scripts and deal with sound equipment and technologies.
How to become a Radio Jockey
STEP 1: There are several diploma courses that provide training in radio jockeying. Some of them are; Diploma in Radio Programming and Broadcast Management, Diploma in Radio Jockeying, Certificate Course in Radio Jockeying and Post Graduate Diploma in Radio Programming and Broadcast Management.
STEP 2: These courses extends to a time period of 6 months to 1 year. Candidates are admitted on the basis of exams conducted by Encompass Institute of Radio Management EMDI. There will be a written examination and a voice and diction screening.
STEP 3: During your training period you will be equipped in subjects like history of radio, introduction to audio-radio technology,
You will be working in different time schedules as per the show assigned to you since the radio works 24x7. You can get employed in radio stations like AIR, Red Fm, Radio Mirchi and other independent radio stations. You can also start your own radio station if you have the fund to do so.
As a starting income, you may earn between Rs.15, 000 to Rs.20, 000 per month. With better performance and experience this can get as high as Rs.2500 – Rs.5000 per show or per day.