CAREER OPTION > Scientist
To be Scientist..
The planet ever since its origin has seen a large number of developments and technological advancements. All these are creations of renowned scientists who have made the planet look like what it is today. If you wish to make a remarkable contribution to the world with your knowledge and skills, a scientist is what you shall become. The discoveries and inventions of scientists so far have developed life-saving technologies and medicines that we use in our day to day life today. It was and still continues to be the most valuable profession since history.
As a scientist your job profile will include planning, conducting and analysing various experiments either to develop a new product or technology that serves a particular purpose. It is a profession that will get you money, fame and above all job satisfaction. One you have an invention in your name, you can patent it and get all the rights for the product or invention. This will be in your name as long as the human race exists and uses it. As a scientist, the role you play in the society is huge since you will be working on projects in order to develop the standards of human living.
- Qualifying marks in your H.S.C. (10+2) examination with physics, chemistry, biology and maths as your core subjects under a recognised board of education.
- A bachelor’s degree in a subject relevant to science. Also, in order to excel as a scientist, a master’s degree is preferred.
- Dedicated attention, ability to work tirelessly for hours and the capacity to concentrate without considering the unfavourable conditions and surrounding you might have to go through.
- Ability to work independently or with a little guidance and openness to suggestions and corrections from seniors.
- Self-decision making, self-motivation and the ability to keep persevering.
- Great enthusiasm to study your related subject and research about the same.
- Good presentation skills, team working skills, computer skills, time management and organising skills.
How to become a Scientist
STEP 1: The first step to becoming a scientist is identifying your field of interest since you will be making an invention related to this field.
STEP 2: After identifying your field of interest, you can get a bachelor’s degree in the same. You can opt for courses like engineering, medicine, bachelor’s degree in arts, science etc. to mention a few.
STEP 3: Most of the courses demand that you have passed entrance examinations conducted by various state and central bodies. The exams will have objective type questions based on science related subjects.
STEP 4: After passing these entrance exams and qualifying in your degree program, you can opt for master’s degree in your respective domain and get more equipped with your topic of interest. Master’s programs also demand you to pass through certain qualifying entrance exams such as the GATE.
STEP 5: However, some people are gifted with a unique brain development and capabilities. If you’re someone like that and is confident enough to invent something without a master’s degree, you always have the chance to do the same.
The field of research, innovation and development has numerous career opportunities today. You can work in fields like social sciences, applied sciences, physical science, space research, engineering and technology or medicine. There are reputed institutes across the nation that will employ you as a scientist. Some of them are:
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC)
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
- Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES)
- Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM)
Your salary largely depends upon your academic qualification, institute from which you have graduated and the experience and aptitude you possess. A scientist can earn an amount between Rs.50, 000 to Rs.1 lakh per month depending upon the organization with which you work. If you individually create or develop a product or technology, the money that it can buy you has no limits. It’s a lifelong secure career with huge monetary benefits.