CAREER OPTION > Soldier
Being a Soldier
Have you got what it takes to fight for the whole nation? If you’re brave enough to do that, then a soldier is what you shall become. As a soldier, you will be the primary fighting force of the army. It is your courage and valour that determines the outcome of the war. If you think the competition in this field is low, then you are mistaken. The country is full of young and energetic people who are willing to serve the country and take risks for the same. You have to outstand in order to be able to make your own position in the army as a soldier.
As a soldier, you will not be known as a Hindu, Muslim, Christian or Sikh. All that you will be is an Indian citizen and a heartfelt patriot fighting for the safety of the nation and its people. Be it taking the enemy head on risking your own life, as a soldier it is your responsibility to safe guard the borders and support your fellow nationals. You have to be the fittest and the best to join the Indian Army Services.
- The minimum age required to join the Indian Army as a soldier is 16. And the maximum age to join the Indian army is 25.
- You must have qualifying marks in your 10thstandard examinations and certain positions demand a matric qualification with 45% marks minimum.
- You must be an Indian citizen and not a permanent resident of any other nation.
- Only male candidates can join the Indian army as a soldier.
- Your height must be a minimum of 158 cms, weight 50 kg and chest of 77 cms.
- Good physical and mental health and free from diseases or disabilities. There shouldn’t be any body defects, overweight or a weak constitution.
- Strong joints and bones, and no historical records of mental breakdown.
- Normal hearing abilities and good condition of nose and throat.
- All organs must function well and blood pressure must be normal.
- Good binocular vision and no skin or any kind of allergies and diseases.
- You should have natural sound teeth.
- You must be brave and have a true will to serve the nation.
- You must be self-disciplined and have excellent team working and communication skills.
How to become a Soldier?
STEP 1: Contact your nearest branch of recruiting office to be a part of the rally conducted to select soldiers. Get details of the rally schedule and report on the mentioned date. Please carry your educational certificate, birth certificate, character certificate and 6-10 passport size photographs.
STEP 2: You have to attend a physical fitness test (PFT) which carries 100 marks. It will include 1 mile run, pull ups, balance and 9 feet ditch.
STEP 3: After clearing this you will have to write a written examination called CEE (Common Entrance Examination) conducted on every last Sunday of the mentioned month.
STEP 4: There are several categories of soldiers. For all categories of soldiers, there is a common paper inclusive of IQ, numerical ability, general knowledge and current affairs. For the soldiers in technical, nursing or CIK category, there is a second paper which includes Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology and English.
STEP 5: After qualifying in these exams, there will be a final medical examination and qualification will be based on the merit of the above mentioned tests.
- National Defence Academy – Pune
- Combined Defence Service Academy – Dehradun
- University Entry Scheme – Dehradun
- Officers Training Academy - Gaya
A soldier can in future become a commissioned officer subject to certain conditions. Numerous NCO/NJO posts have been opened up to improve the career prospects and pensioner benefits of soldiers. You can be employed in designations like field marshal, general, lieutenant general, major general, brigadier, colonel, lieutenant colonel, major, captain, lieutenant etc.
An Indian soldier will get a starting income of Rs.10, 000/- – Rs.12, 000/- . Beside this, you will enjoy benefits like free ration, clothing, accommodation, allied services, medical treatment for self and family, group housing schemes, loan facilities, canteen facilities etc.