CAREER OPTION > Teaching
If you think imparting your knowledge is a great motive in life, and if you are interested in pursuing a career in teaching, this course is a right choice. B.Ed. or Bachelor of Education is an undergraduate course for those who wish to work with the education and teaching field. It is a mandatory degree if you want to teach in secondary (6 to 10), and higher secondary (10+2) education. It can also be pursued through correspondence or distance learning. Either ways, the duration of the course is 2 years.
The subjects taught varies as per the stream you have been in your 12thgrade. Students from the arts stream are trained to teach in subjects like history, civics, geography, and languages. Whereas, students from the science stream get trained in subjects like mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology. The statutory body which regulates the courses for teaching in India is known as National Council for Teacher Education.
- The minimum qualification required for you to occupy a seat in B.Ed. is, a minimum of 50% marks in your (10+2) H.S.C exams from a recognised board of education, in either of the streams such as Commerce, Science, Arts/Humanities.
- You have to clear an entrance test conducted by different states and independent educational bodies and universities. Your ranks in these exams are considered during the time of admissions.
- The entrance exams takes place between June and July. It consists of objective type questions about English, General Knowledge, Aptitude, Basic Arithmetics teaching potential, and the knowledge of a local language.
The syllabus encompasses both theory and practical training. The topics covered under theory are:
- Philosophical and Sociological Basis of Education
- The Learner – Nature and Development
- Teaching – The learning Process
- School Management and Computer Education
- Guidance and Counselling in optional subjects which vary as per institutions
- Methodology of Teaching – In any two subjects you choose
- Education, Culture and Human Values
- Educational Evaluation and Assessment
- Holistic Education
- Educational Psychology
The topics covered under practical training and assessment are:
- School experience programme
- Health and sports programme
- Work experience and interaction programme
- Simple expressional competencies
You become an individual skilled in efficient teaching of subjects, after the completion of this course. You can develop your skill and understanding to impart quality education to students. A good teacher always has job satisfaction, job security, high earnings, and a flexible schedule. The different employment areas are coaching centres, educational consultancies, education departments, home tuitions, publishing houses, research and development, schools and colleges etc. The different job types that you can take up are:
- Assistant Dean
- Content Writer
- Education Researcher
- Military Trainer
- Syllabus Designer
The top B.Ed. institutes in India offer quality training to student which has both theoretical and practical training. They are:
- Bombay Teacher’s Training College - Mumbai
- J. Somaiya Comprehensive College of Education –Mumbai
- Lady Irwin College – Delhi
- Xavier’s College of Education – Patna
- Government College of Education – Chandigarh
International institutions you would want to pursue a B.Ed. from are:
- University of Greenwich – London
- University of Prince Edward Island – Canada
After the completion of B.Ed., you have further scope of study by pursuing a post graduate degree in the teaching field. M.Ed. (Master of Education) is the post-graduate academic master degree course to opt for.