CAREER OPTION > Visual Merchandiser
Career as a Visual Merchandiser
Visual merchandiser is the most important professional in sales and retail management today. The great and appealing presentations of the store and its products that you see today are all the creativity and work of a visual merchandiser. As a visual merchandiser, your goal will be to create attractive and creative display of a store’s products in order to encourage users to visit the store purchase. You will have to consider the colour, alignment, etc. of the product and the store since it influences the mood and buying behaviour of the customer.
Today display has become the most important element in retail business. Whether a store is inside a mall, a shopping complex or outside on the street, the visual merchandiser’s creativity is what drives the passing by users to enter the store and shop. The task of a visual merchandiser is easier said than done. Your work has to be fine and done with a limited time in order to attract the prospect customer into the store. There are several courses that are available today which will help you become a visual merchandiser.
- Qualifying marks in your H.S.C. (10+2) exams under a recognised board of education in any stream of your choice.
- You must possess a good sense of colour, design and style and be creative enough to make your ideas practical.
- You must have natural artistic ability and technical experience in handling objects.
- You must be aware of current trends in fashion, design and culture.
- You must have a high level of attention to detail.
- You must have excellent communication skills and have leadership and commanding skills.
- You should have a faster pace of work and complete you job within tight schedules or deadlines.
- You must have the ability to use large and small spaces effectively, have good drawing skills, be artistic and self-motivated and have software skills.
How to become a Visual Merchandiser
STEP 1: After completing your 12thgrade, you need to earn a bachelor’s degree in courses like fashion communication, fashion management, fashion merchandising, retail management, fashion marketing etc.
STEP 2: The course duration extends between a time period of 3-4 years. Renowned institutes demand you to write an entrance examination in order to be eligible to join the course. The entrance exam will have two sets. One set will be to test your creative aptitude and the other to test your general knowledge and basic skills in other subjects.
STEP 3: After completing your 3 years degree program, you can opt for masters in order to acquire better positions.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology – Across India
- JD Institute of Fashion Technology – Bangalore
- Pearl Academy – Delhi
Visual merchandiser gives the brand a face and identity. Today every brand and outlet needs their store to look good because of the competition. This has increased the demand for visual merchandisers to a large extent. You can work with famous fashion brands or retail outlets in shopping malls and complexes. You can work in fields like accessories, footwear, clothing etc.
The starting salary of a visual merchandiser will be between Rs.40, 000 to Rs.50, 000 per month. If you have excellent skills and is willing to work hard, then your monthly income get go up to 1-3 lakhs per month.